Friday, March 14, 2008

5 Miles

I was able to get a good run in today of 5 miles. I went to McDonnell Park in St Louis County and ran the path there that is 1.3 miles long. It is a pretty hilly path and I really wasn't in shape to be attacking hills, but I got through it. Overall I think I was out there for around 1hr 2 minutes or something in that ballpark, so not as bad as I thought it would be time wise at least. My body is holding up good also, no real soreness or anything, but I will have to see about tomorrow. It was a beautiful day out for a run, or just about anything I guess.

Got started on The Hobbit tonight, only about 40 pages in and it is just enjoyable. Makes me wonder why it has taken me so long to do a re-read and then get into the Lord of the Rings series next. I have also forced myself to read somemore in The Drifters, I don't want it to be forgotten. I also am kind of enjoying it. In the back of my mind I kind of wonder what Michener will say about the whole '60's culture and if he makes any kind of predictions for the future. The book was published in 1971, so too early to know about how the '60s turned into the '70s. I think I am on the last person being introduced into the group, Gretchen, because the chapter names change to something else besides persons names. The characters are kind of falling into the similar Michener characters I have read in the past, people that perfectly fit the idea or grouping he is describing. While I am getting a little bored with these characters in that sense, the information he provides on each page more than makes up for any shortcomings. This type of information is what makes his books so much fun to read

With the gas prices over $3.00 now and looking like they are going to stay there for a while, I was kicking around the idea of digging out my bike. I am only 5.5 miles from my work, or 6.2 going a safer route. I did run home once last year from work, unfortunately that was a very hot & humid day so I didn't try repeating it. Now I am kind of considering trying to bike to work and back home. Also maybe looking at biking to work and then running home at night followed by running to work the next morning and biking home then. It has been somewhere around 5 years or so since I have ridden a bike, so I will need some practice before this can become a series idea. Of course lunches, change of cloths and washing up are also things to be figured out too, but they can wait until I know if I can actually ride a bike anymore.

No comments: