Monday, March 10, 2008

Catching Up

It has been a few day since I last checked in around here. Let me run down a few things.

1. The very good weather on Sat & Sunday ended with a bang. Monday was cold & sleeting by the evening with the weather reports saying bad stuff on the way. Tuesday starting around 8:30 till 3:00 we got hit with somewhere around 10+ inches at our house & at my work. There is still snow on the ground today where it was piled the highest. It was also mostly cold all week as well. I think the highs are supposed to be in the 40's this week and maybe higher for a couple of days. I really just want winter & snow over.

2. The MVC basketball tourney has come & gone. Creighton won their first game against Bradley and lost the 2nd against Drake. Drake was the story of the tourney, they are a very good, solid team. I am expecting a sweet sixteen showing from them unless they get screwed in seeding or matchups on the bracket. For Creighton it means most likely the NIT. While not the best, it is post-season play and more practice and experience for the very young roster. Barry Hinson at MO St was fired shortly after the tourney. I have mixed thoughts about this. I think his team MO St was screwed out of the NCAA tourney twice in the last few years. This is important because not making the NCAA tourney is the reason mostly given for him being fired. Also the fact that attendance was down and they are opening a new arena next year so the school thought it needed a new coach to energize the program. While I am generally a stay the course type on coaches (unless you are going to make a significant effort to really upgrade), I think this firing is justified. Hinson had some very good talent at MO St through the last few years but he just wasn't able to put it together to get a top finish in the league. It is too bad because Hinson really represented MO St & the MVC very well. I wish him the best and hope he gets another head coaching opportunity soon.

3. My parents and one of my brothers & his wife were in town for the MVC tourney also. My parents stayed with us--that is part of the reason for the delay in posting--I just didn't have access to the computer late at night as normal. Our kids were really excited about seeing everyone. I just wish the weather had been nicer to do more with them though.

4. No running last week with the snow, getting the house ready and then with all of the basketball. I did get 3 miles in tonight while the kids were at PSR. I then also got .75 in later tonight. Our van had to be dropped off the the safety & emissions checks so I just walked/jogged it back home.

5. With everything going on this weekend, I got in very little reading. I am close to finishing Phantom and was hoping I would do so tonight, but instead goofed off on the computer too much. It will have to wait for tomorrow now. I haven't touch Drifters in about a week I guess either.

I am sure there are other things I should be thinking about but that is all I got for now.

No comments: