Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Phantom of the Opera - Done

It took longer than I thought it would or should, but I finally wrapped up the Phantom. Good read, it makes me want to see the play or one of the movies also. Some of the descriptions of the rooms and the whole Opera building were hard to grasp and follow, this is where I think seeing a movie would have been helpful before reading. Of course like any movie it would also depend on how well the movie actually sticks to the actual book as well.

I am thinking the Phantom kind of falls into where I consider Wuthering Heights, a book that I am glad that I have now read, but certainly not among my favorites. Unlike Wuthering Heights though, the Phantom has given me a good understanding of the storyline for when I see the play or a movie.

The Hobbit is now on deck. I don't think I will get started on it tonight, instead I will try to spend a few minutes with The Drifters getting reaquainted with it once more. I also might be starting a 3rd book, The Planet Wizard by John Jakes. It is one of those books that has been hanging around on my bookshelves for years. I think I read it before, like somewhere after or during college, but am not sure about that. Rose found the book after many got knocked off of some of my shelves--Thomas being Destructo Boy again. Since it is about wizards and stuff, she became interested. She asked if she could read it and I said yes, but that I would also read it so I could help answer questions she might have. While I think I would rather she read The Hobbit or maybe the Harry Potter books, she has a kind of independent streak in her so I figured if The Planet Wizard is where she wants to start on Sci Fi well so be it.

No comments: