Friday, April 11, 2008

All Moms Go To Heaven -- done

I finished up the short book I was reading, All Moms Go To Heaven. Not really anything earth shattering about the book. A good reminder that moms don't have it easy. The writer & his family are Morman which means the good old fashioned values type things and that is what the book certainly stressed. My wife really liked it and made me read it once she finished. I felt kind of bad because to me it was more ho hum and I think she thought I would have a bigger reaction to it. I may have mentioned this in my entry last night, but it is very similar to Finishing Strong, that I read last year except the focus was on men/husbands/fathers instead of moms.

Well, I picked out The Partner to go along with The Lord of the Rings as my next books. Well The Partner has taken off. I was off work today so I was able to spend some very good time reading it. I am somewhere around 280 pages read right now. I am around 50 pages in The Lord of the Rings. The Partner is a good Grisham read, a page turner with a constantly moving plot. Someone once referred to these type books as "mind candy" and I really think it fits. Not too much thinking going on, just simple enjoyment of reading the story. No third book yet, but might have to start looking since The Partner isn't going to take very long.

I haven't mentioned my running much at all lately, probably because there is little good news to mention. I have really been struggling on my runs, especially the first mile or so. My chest/lungs are in pain and while in the past I could run through this, not any more. It could be that I am just badly out of shape and just need to keep at it. I also think it could be a sinus thing since I am blowing my nose constantly while I am running. I want to pick up breath rite strips and see if that would help. Since my nose is usually partially stuffed, this might help open it up enough to increase my oxygen intake which could help my breathing/lung problem. That is the theory I am working at right now, along with the one with me just being badly out of shape. Anyway I did get 4.1 miles in today, first mile around 13:15, 2nd 12:50, 3rd 12:09 and 4th 12:23 or somewhere in that ballpark. Kind of ugly times, but at least I was able to get something in. Not sure if there will be any other running this weekend.

No comments: