Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Drifters - done

Book #9 for this year is now finished. I wrapped up The Drifters by Michener tonight. I always feel that I learn a lot whenever I read a Michener book and this one is not different. While my main criticism is probably that the characters seem a little too perfect in fitting into stereotypes, overall a very fun read. It follows a group of around 18 to 20 somethings that travel together through Spain & Portugal and then into Africa during the late 1960s. He wrote it as a kind of contrast to the generations with Fairbanks and Holt being part of the WWII generation vs the Vietnam/'60s generation kids. I think he presented most of the arguments in a fair manner, that generally showed while the '60s kids lacked perspective, they certainly had feeling and an almost like "movement" sense about them.

While reading The Drifters, I kept thinking about how Michener viewed the '60s generation later on say in the '90s when they were turning 50. I might have to see if I can find any answers on this, because it seemed like some of the characters would not sell out as he presented them in the book, but I don't know if he would have felt the same over time. Good read, interesting stuff on the time period and what many of the American students did while in Europe at that time. I have enjoyed other Michener books more than this one, Centennial(I wish I had spell check) & Poland off the top of my head, but this is certainly a solid work. I am glad that I finally got it read.

Next to be finished is the short book recommended to me by my wife, All Moms Go To Heaven. It is just okay for me. It reads similar to a book a read a year ago or so, Finishing Strong. That was about being good dads and husbands. All Moms is written by a man who took a summer in 1973 and became a stay a home dad. While little in the book is about that actual summer it is more so on his family--wife, kids, their spouses and grandkids. Nothing earth shattering in the book but I guess it is good to read this occasionally and remind oneself to be a better person. I am down to a mere 10 pages to go, but will save it to finish tomorrow. I will give the day/blog entry to The Drifters.

I have started my next books, The Lord of the Rings and The Partner--Grisham. Just getting started tonight on both so only a few short pages into each.

No comments: