Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Partner -- Done & Fish caught

Well, this blog has fallen into a "what am I reading/finishing reading" rut lately. Today is really not different either, I finished The Partner, a Grisham book. I mostly covered it yesterday with my explanation of it as "mind candy". Not really much else to add, other than it is kind of fun to knock through a book like that once in a while.

Saturday morning was also a fishing day. It was cold and snowy in the morning but since the Pujols Family Foundation was part of a fishing day at Busch Wildlife, I talked Debbie into letting me & Thomas go out. We had RSVP'ed earlier in the week and the plan was to get a babysitter for Rose & Angie so Debbie, Thomas & I could all go out fishing. Well with it being cold and windy, there was no way Debbie wanted to go and she had to be convinced before she agreed to let Thomas go also. It was cold and windy and there wasn't much action, fishing wise either.

It was a nice event though. I think it was a construction company that put it on, but I am not really sure either though. It had a few different children's groups involved, liked Big Brothers & Big Sisters that I know of for sure. Checkin was from 9-10 and then fishing from 10 to 11:30, then break for lunch for an hour and then more fishing in the afternoon. They did keep count of how many fish each participant caught also. For lunch, they had fried catfish, baked beans, coleslaw and chips, the coleslaw was the only thing Thomas didn't want. He seemed really like the catfish, I am not sure if he has had it before or not. They also had a band playing music, which he really liked. He bounced his way through lunch.

As far as the fishing went, Thomas did catch one fish, a bluegill. We first started on lake 2 I think. There were about 3 other groups out there when we pulled up. Thomas got a fishing rod and a kit with hooks, lures, etc, that I opened and looked at. I did not buy any bait and just figured I would see how we did with this first. The grass and dirt around the lake was soaked and muddy, so we had to setup on a rock part. This meant that Thomas had plenty of rocks to throw into the lake which he did as often as he could, no matter how many times I stopped him and told him no more. I didn't bother setting up his new rod and instead just used one I brought along. I put a hook on it and used a small plastic lure and bobber. We got nothing. Eventually the other groups left but luckily for us one of them had bought nightcrawlers and gave them to us as they left. Even with the nightcrawler though, nothing at this lake.

We moved then to lake 15 where everyone else was fishing it seemed. I saw a kid carry a bass over to the officials when we pulled up, I would guess around 12 inches--not bad. Also this lake had an asphalt sidewalk around part of the lake, this is where we setup--I learned my lesson with the rocks. This is where we caught our one fish. Thomas reeled it in all by himself and was pretty happy about this. In fact he kept mentioning it all day long that he caught a fish--that is just fun and worth sitting in the cold. We had one more good bite but lost it right before lunch. I was glad Thomas caught his fish because after lunch we called it a day, it was too cold to go back out there. While Thomas had fun reeling in, he doesn't have the patience to fish very long. I think we need 2 people with Thomas for fishing for best results, he is really too much for one on one. Trying to change bait or put a new hook on, he just doesn't sit still enough for that. Also with 2 people you could use 2 poles, so he there would be more reeling in and casting and hopefully not as much just sitting.

No comments: