Monday, April 7, 2008

The Planet Wizard--done

Book number 8 is now done this year. It is The Planet Wizard by John Jakes. A good piece of science fiction about a far off planet in a far off time. It is a generation or two after a nuclear war hit the main planet and a neighboring planet. A wizard, his daughter and a companion are sent off to the neighboring planet, because the leaders of the home planet believe the wizard is a true wizard. A sto-away with seemingly mad designs on restarting the neighboring planets large corporation/city is also found on the way. A 2nd team also with their designs of restarting the city steal a ship and join in the fun. The neighboring planet has these reptile like creatures with Brothers that ride them--kind of like little people I guess, that kind of protect the city. These creatures are what supposedly have become of the survivors of the nuclear war. Also more than a few scenes with these creatures didn't really seem to make much sense, but oh well. The madman gets the city restarted after the wizard scares the reptile creatures out of the city.

I guess it ended on a up note with humanity surviving a nuclear holocost(I wish I had spell check on this computer). Overall not a bad read if you are a fan of science fiction. I don't think joe average reader would really enjoy it though, a little far fetched and glosses over things quite a bit. Much better stuff out there but not a waste of time either--just a middle range book for me.

I am also starting on the last chapter in The Drifters. Still have a 120 pages or so, but getting there. I might spend a little time and try to figure out my next two books--will try to see if Lord of the Rings can be worked in yet.

Attempted running tonight, but it wasn't good at all. I didn't even get 2 miles in, going 1.75 with much walking. I am struggling to breath for the first mile or so and am just getting frustrated with this. I am wondering if I have some kind of allergy type thing since I am constantly blowing/launching my nose while running especially in the beginning. Maybe I will pop in a WebMD & see if I can find anything out.

No comments: