Sunday, July 6, 2008

My 15 Minutes - finished

My 15 Minutes ended up being a nice quick read. It fit the easy page turning type book I was looking for. I only saw after I finished it tonight that it is an Avon Trade book, that is kind of scary. I didn't think I would read an Avon book--whatever that means. I guess it seems a little to close to a romance novel sort just seeing Avon, but this was not what I would picture as a romance novel. Of course since I have never read a real romance novel I could be wrong.

My 15 Minutes fit with what I have been trying to force myself to do, read books about more modern times. Since most of my book shopping had been done at the nearby used bookstore, finding new books sometimes isn't an option. The library sales has really been a goldmine for me since I started looking through those books last Winter. My 15 Minutes is one of those library buys, along with earlier read books God Clobbers Us All and Ten Thousand Lovers. The latter two though were actually set in the 1970s though, they were bought for other reasons. God Clobbers Us All's author lives in Chadron, NE and I kind of have a thing about learning about Israel where Ten Thousand Lovers takes place.

The characters in My 15 Minutes were fun easy to picture. The Hollywood sorts might have been a little to plastic, but it didn't matter because they were really background for Julie and Billie. I will probably recommend this to Debbie, not sure if she will read it--I would guess no, she just isn't a big fan of novels.

Kind of funny also, when putting My 15 Minutes on my list of books read so far this year, it comes in at #15. I certainly didn't plan it that way. Actually I was planning to refocus on Fatima and work at finishing it up, but just kind of got caught up on the easy page turning of My 15 Minutes. My goal again on reading was to average 2 a month for a year--in other words read at least 24 books. I left an out if I read a few long books, then just getting close would work. I have read The Lord of the Rings at 1008 pages and am still thinking about War & Peace again--I had these 2 in mind when I made up that "out".

I don't know what is next, I still have that Clancy book around--it hasn't gotten reshelved yet. I also have Bowerman and the Men of Oregon that I pulled with M15M but never even cracked it. I will checkout my shelves because I know there are a few others I should be looking at also.

No comments: