Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The True Story of Fatima--finished & other stuff

I kind of enjoy reading about saints and apparitions. I find their stories very interesting and many of the things that occurred as beyond what I believe possible. This is not to say that I don't believe the accounts given, it is that I want to believe but usually still have a fair degree of skeptism. (Note again: this computer does not have spell check, so I am sorry of misspellings but not sorry enough to dig out the dictionary and correct them myself) The story of Fatima is probably the most believable account of the few others I have read so far. Since it happened in 1917, it is actually fairly modern in comparison and seems to have people that understood there would be many questioning the children's account. I still don't have a firm grasp of what the actual secrets of Fatima are/were, the last secret was to be revealed years after this book was written in 1960. Actually from what I read a wikipedia, which is itself an interesting read, the 3rd secret wasn't released until 2000 and even then it seems many doubt if all of the secret had been released. Lucia the one remaining child from Fatima lived until 2005 to the age of 97. Jacinta & Francisco died only a year of 2 after the apparitions. Interestingly both Jacinta & Francisco have been declared Blessed and Jacinta's body was found to be incorrupt in 1935 and 1951. The whole incorrupt bodies of saints is one of those things that I really find amazing.

Reading this book certainly opened up an interest in Fatima for me and kind of renewed or maybe reminded me to continue and search out these kind of books and research this kind of information. The book itself was kind of a tough read in that it was an account trying to show the accuracy of the apparitions so it had to defend and re-defend much of what happened. Also toward the end of the book it pretty much wrote out speeches the Pope or Vatican gave on Fatima--not very exciting at all. Overall a very interesting story that really makes you think about God's role in your life. There might be better sources or books to read than this one though.

Other stuff:

--All Star game was long and mostly boring. AL won again. I was really hoping for both teams to run out of pitchers and be stuck with a tie again. I don't really like All Star games so anything to make them more meaningless is a good thing in my eyes.

--Finally got out and got a run in. I did a very slow 4 miles, averaging somewhere around 13:30 per mile. It was hot and I am out of shape so just getting the run in was really all I wanted. Hopefully I will get another run in this week and a 3rd on the weekend.

--Now only reading Bowerman and the Men of Oregon. I will probably look around at my books and see if one jumps out at me tonight but will probably wait till tomorrow to actually try and pick one out. Fatima was my 16th book read this year so I am well on my way to getting to 24 for the year.

No comments: