Saturday, September 26, 2009

A Shadow in the City--#58 finished

This was an unusual book, hard to follow and really hard to understand. It is supposed to be a true story of an undercover drug detective. It talks about deals and arrests but it is put together in a piecemeal type way that makes it hard to follow. Real details seem to be missing. It is almost like you, the reader, are supposed to get an emotional feeling from the reading instead of just a more straight forward understanding like from a normal book. I am not sure about this one. At times I liked it and it seemed to make a lot of sense, but other times it just seemed to fragmented and almost not worth the effort. I guess overall, I would have to say I didn't really like it.

There were some interesting parts, like talking about Viktor Frankl and his book Man's Search For Meaning--a book written about his time in WWII concentration camps. The cop questioning the whole bureaucracy of the drug war and how the drug dealers are harder working and had more in common with the undercover detective. Overall though it was not my cup of tea.

It is one 1 person's WL on PBS. I have already posted it, will have to see if it is accepted though. If not I would think it would move at some point.

No comments: