Sunday, May 11, 2008

Ten Thousand Lovers(novel)--done

It has been a while since I finished a book. I guess that is what I get for reading the very long Lord of the Rings. Ten Thousand Lovers had been the other book between the two pretty much the whole time. It was only in the last couple of days that I really put time to Ten Thousand & was able to finish it.

It is an interesting book in that it is making me think about what I really know about what is or was going on in Israel. It is based in the '70s with Ami as an interrogator that feels his country is treating the Palastinians unfairly. The end of the book makes a point in the '90s where about half of the people of Israel are getting fed up with living there.

My overall feeling on the book is that I am still missing something. Either it is some knowledge I should already have or the book left things kind of vague to let the readers interpret things. I enjoyed being introduced to different things dealing with life in Israel, but even then it seems as though most things are left incomplete in the description. It is like at every turn in this book there are untied threads. For my taste there seem to be too many. I am glad that I have read this book because it is making me think, but I don't think I could recommend it or have interest in reading it again. I guess it would only be recommended to people that have a great knowledge of Israel already.

This is the 12th book read already in '08. Kind of impressive I think and well on my way of getting this goal accomplished. This goal was to average 2 books read a month or a total of 24. I am also happy that I have a good mix of books read so far also both in types of books and also sizes. In other words not just light reading and not just short books either.

No ideas yet on the next book or books to be read. I haven't touched Lord of the Rings the last couple of days so I will need to get back on it. I will probably try to find another to get started on in the next day or so also.

I did get a run in on Saturday of 3.1 miles in the rain. It actually felt pretty good. I don't know if the rain kept some of the pollen & stuff out of the air but I was able to breath a little freer it seemed than before. I read in today's paper that this is ride your bike to work week--I don't know if I will do that or not, but I will see. Tomorrow is out because of PSR, but I will see about later this week.

Finally, Happy Mother's Day to all of the mom's out there.

No comments: