Monday, November 23, 2009

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas--#73 finished

A very good and moving read about two boys on opposite sides of a fence at a concentration camp in Poland during WWII. It is very sad in a way, especially the ending but also kind of hopeful in the sense that 2 children could get along so well without really knowing or understanding the what the adults were thinking. The Holocaust is one of those subjects that I know that I don't know enough about but I also know that it is just painful and emotional that makes it hard for me to learn more on. I really need to go to the local Holocaust museum here probably in the next couple of years with Rose when she is a little older and better able to understand and maybe not have nightmares about it. Of course the whole understanding part is the tough part, I don't think I will ever be able to understand the whys or hows of it happening. It forces one to look inside oneself to see how you would react in situations like that. Would you go along with the crowd, would you fight it and probably die trying, would you simply ignore it, those are uneasy questions. Obviously I like to think that I would not have stood for it but I also know that in a way I am blessed for never being put in that kind of situation.

I am glad that I have read this book and will enjoy posting it to mail for the next person as well. There are a couple of different versions of this book, this is the library binding so not as many WL for it, but it should still move kind of quickly.

No comments: