Friday, February 13, 2009

The Door Whore--#10 finished

Number 10 is kind of a different book for me to have read.  The Door Whore: Confessions of a Restaurant Diva by Fern Esposito is really not at all something I normally read.  I remember buying it on one of my now frequent trips to the library looking for books to both read & post on PBS.  In fact I was at a library today and saw another copy of this book on their for sale table also.  It looked kind of interesting, in that it might have some back room details of running a restaurant and secondly could be the type of book wanted on PBS.  

As far as how accurate I was, is a little debatable.  It did have some interesting stories but overall not a very good book in my eyes.  Most of the characters in the book seemed very shallow and plastic--I don't think I really cared for any of them.  I guess part of it is that they were living in a reality that just isn't mine.  Someone who is impressed by botox and the minutia of fine living, really just isn't for me.

The book basically consists of each chapter telling a story or two about happenings at the restaurant.  Some are interesting, but with this being a fictional account, the whole idea of too convenient really enters in.  I think the book would have been better served as a non-fictional account on running a restaurant which the writer actually did.  The format of the book is almost journal like which I actually liked.  The many short chapters kept it moving along--no getting drug down by a long boring account.

I guess I go back to the characters and since I have no attachment to them, I likewise have no attachment to this book.  It will be getting posted on PBS in just a few minutes.  It is on no one's Wish List, but last I checked it also isn't being Posted by anyone either.  If I have the only or first copy out there, maybe it will move eventually.  
I am still working away at War & Peace and The Assassin.  I hope to have The Assassin finished up this weekend or early next week.  I might spend a few minutes tonight checking out that all important next book too--many many choices on my bookshelves these days.

No comments: