Monday, July 27, 2009

The Tourists--#44 finished

This was a really different kind of book for me. I wasn't sure if I would like it or not when I started reading it. It has a lot of themes that I am not really interested in for the most part, Ivy league, gay relationships, east coast or specifically New York and the narrator is unnamed, are the major ones. It took a while for me to really get into the book. It wasn't the easiest book to enjoy especially early on and the characters certainly were people I was sympathetic to either.

A lot of sleeping around and screwing over supposed friends in this book make it tough to really care about any of the characters. I think this was actually what the author wanted though, the unnamed narrator is the only kind of sympathetic character but he seems to be there just to be run over by one of the other characters. I did come to enjoy the book though, the story and the back and forth chapters made it a good read, which actually surprises me because as I said earlier I hadn't expected to like this book once I figured out what it was about.

It is on 1 person's WL over at PBS so I will get it posted but will have to see if it gets accepted or not. I figure it will move eventually because like I said it is a good book.

No comments: