Thursday, March 19, 2009

Busy night

It was a busy night here.  First, Rose had a girl scout skate night so we had to get her up to school so she could go to that.  At least they had some moms helping out so one of us didn't have to go on this trip.  

This was also parent teachers meetings tonight.  Both kids are doing very well.  Thomas is reading which he has been for quite a while, but his teacher & his aide both said he has really improved and recognizes many words.  He is also reading numbers up into the 200s.  He is also doing things like identifying coins and how much they are worth and other simple math games.  He still has very little writing skills so is behind there, but overall doing very good.  Rose is just a delight to have says her teacher.  That is good to hear because at home she sometimes/many times acts like a slacker teenager instead of a delightful 10 year old.  She is scoring well on the tests, gets along well with everyone in class and reading & comprehension is great.  All good things.  Could work on spelling a little more and maybe doing some more writing projects are things for her to work on.  Spring break is here for them so hopefully some of those things are done instead of 6-10 hours of TV or computers each day.

After the teachers' meetings, it was go to the book fair.  Couldn't find anything that Thomas wanted, he only wanted Baby Einstein books--those are too young for school age kids I guess so they didn't have any.  Rose had picked out a Pokeman book earlier we got and Angie got some book with stickers.

Once we got home, it was time to go workout.  We actually met our babysitter at the book fair & she just walked home with us.  I mostly did weights and then did do 1 mile in around 13:15 on the treadmill and then something like 6 minutes on the bike.  I really don't like treadmills but I guess I need to get used to them or at least do a better job of tolerating them.

Then home, eat, read a little, fight kids to bed, a little TV and then read a little more till I am down here.  I saw a headline that President Obama made a kind of offhand joke about his bowling being like Special Olympics.  That is just disappointing and I also thought of Sarah Palin and her son Trig as well.  While Obama certainly wasn't trying to be hurtful, it doesn't really show much respect for people and kids with special needs.  I hope an apology comes out soon but he does seem to have a stubborn streak too so not sure if an apology will happen.

I am reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards.  Good book so far and actually I also taped/DVRed the movie earlier this week also.  I am not too far into it, maybe 60 pages or so out of 400 in total, so a long way to go.  I am getting very close to finishing War & Peace also--I am under 100 pages to go.  Should be done with it Friday night or Saturday.  I also have The Farther Shore by Matthew Eck, but I haven't started it yet.  It is on a couple peoples WL on PBS so I kind of want to read it so I can then mail it out for credits.

In the mail today I received another order from PBS.  It was one that I had gotten from the Book Bazar on the website.  It was a 4 for 1 deal.  I ordered The Kite Runner and also got Angels & Demons by Dan Brown, Avenger by Forsyth and Bleachers by Grisham.  All books that I want to read if only I can find the time to get to them and the other 30+ books I have stacked around too.  It is 12:50 so just a few minutes of reading and then sleep.

No comments: