Saturday, March 14, 2009

Northern Sky--#15 finished

Northern Sky is a book that I am really not sure why I bought in the first place and they why I started reading it.  It is by a British writer who is also a radio guy.  It is a book about 6 people or mates who's lives revolve around each other and folk music.  I am not a big music fan and probably less folk, especially British folk.  The book was a library sale purchase so it cost a quarter, so that is probably why I bought it.  I would also guess that I figured it would be one that would also be a candidate for someone to want at PBS.  

As far as why I started reading, I know one of the reasons was it was over 300 pages--312 to be exact.  From looking at the list of books read this year, there were too many in the 200 to under 300 page range.  What the list doesn't tell anyone is that this whole time I have also been reading War & Peace so I have not wanted to take on another long book at the same time.  Since Northern Sky was just over 300 pages, I guess one night I decided it was a good book to read.

Now ever since I started reading it I have kind of questioned why I am reading this.  I didn't really enjoy it pretty much the whole way through.  The main character Ed is a drunken fool that seems to have a chip on his shoulder about everything as well as being irrational about most things.  This book is almost about a whole series of bad ideas and happenings that he basically causes or antagonizes.  It just seemed to reinforce the whole way through or at least remind me of my bad decision to read the book.  

This Ed character is also a university professor, at least associate, and that just continues to amaze me--why did the author make such an idiot also a professor.  None of the characters really deal with their shortcomings and their problems, instead they are either pushed aside or used as a crutch for their not having to face up to life.  First everyone drinks too much and no where in the book does anyone think that quitting or at least cutting way back would be a good idea.  For a university professor--not just educated person--Ed can't seem to ask any decent questions or set any type of limits of Matt the pushy music agent type friend.

It is really a book not worth your time, unless music and or folk music is your thing.  It is a far better book than The Yellow Sailor but that is just not saying much either.  I am looking forward to posting it on PBS now and will just have to wait out the day for when I can mail it out to someone else.

No comments: