Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Horizontal World--#65 finished

I really enjoyed this work, it is the true story of writer about her experiences growing up in small town North Dakota. I really connected with this book, a lot of what she talks about was in many ways very similar to myself. Now her area of North Dakota was/is more desolate than my small town/farm in Nebraska and she grew up a decade or so before myself so not completely similar but still enough there to really bring back some memories. The start of the book was funny at parts looking at how she felt about the area growing up but the book did turn very serious later on when discussing her relationship with her parents, especially her father, when she was in her 20s & 30s. At that point the book became less about North Dakota directly and more just about her life. One of the main points in the book though was that even if she didn't live in North Dakota anymore, she will never be able to separate herself from North Dakota--that is her roots, that is what helped shape her into who she is today. Lots of good stuff in here. I will probably be sending it on to my mom to read and maybe passing along to my sister and brothers if they are interested as well.

This one has become a keeper for me. There are like 2 or 3 WL for it but I have enough credits already so no need to send this one out. I will keep it and should make time for a re-read at some point in the future as well.

No comments: