Monday, October 25, 2010

Once They Wore the Gray--#69 finished

It had been a long time since I had read a western and I really enjoyed this one. It was about Confederate soldiers that were prisoners of the Union at a deplorable prison camp. I guess all Civil War prison camps were probably deplorable, just depends on levels of deplorable. Well these soldiers realize their days are numbered if they stay in the prison and escape is nearly impossible. The Union offers the soldiers a chance to sign up with the Union army and be stationed in the West fighting Indians with no chance of fighting Confederates. The story talks about a handful or so of them and how they are treated and how they earn the respect of the Union troops out there. A good story for the most part. I give extra credit because I wasn't aware of this offer to the Confederates so I learned something as well. Good read and makes me think I should search out a few more interesting westerns as well and make them part of my huge piles of books to read.

I have posted it on PBS, there are already 3 copies a head of it so it probably won't be moving for a long time if I had to guess. This was a book that I got in a Book Bazaar deal early on when I first joined so I don't think there has been much movement on this book. Oh well, I have been shipping quite a few books off recently so glad to be able to add one to the bookshelf.

Still reading the Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs book and Boo Who. I will need to pick out at least one more book tonight and maybe two.

No comments: