Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The First Billion is the Hardest--#64 finished

This is a book by T. Boone Pickens, who was most recently in the news during the last election cycle pushing for wind energy. Before that I really hadn't paid much attention to him. I am sure that I would have seen his name regarding his big donations to Oklahoma State for both athletics and academics as well as some of his corporate raider activities in the 1980s.

It started off interesting because I really had little knowledge of him. I was certainly impressed with much of what he has done in his lifetime. After a while though, reading page after page of his accomplishments, it really wore on me. That is fine, if I am 80 and have accomplished what he has, I am sure I would kick out a book about it as well. The end of the book talked a little more about energy independence and getting into wind technology. Before that much of the book talked about his commodity trading and corporate stuff that just wasn't really interesting to me. An okay read overall. I do want to follow wind technology more since reading it as well as alternate energy sources in general. I agree with much of his final chapters about how a true energy policy has to be formulated and pushed from the top down. I guess I wish the book had been 200 pages about these alternate energies and 50 pages about his life, but still a good read anyway.

I have posted it on PBS, I think it was on something like a dozen WL so it should be moving soon. I hope it gets accepted quick since I am just wrapping up the 2 earlier ones tonight to get into the mail Thursday.

No comments: