Monday, October 6, 2008

Book Shopping

Well, I ended up at a nearby library tonight and had a few minutes to do some book shopping on their tables out front with the books they are selling.  I was almost embarrassed at the books I was buying for so cheap, but I just couldn't pass them up.  Oh well here they are:

The Matarese Countdown by Robert Ludlum

Orlando by Virginia Woolf

Demons by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Pudd'nhead Wilson and The Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg by Mark Twain

Across the River and Into the Trees by Ernest Hemingway

By-Line:  Ernest Hemingway.  edited by William White

Men at War edited & intro by Ernest Hemingway

Some good stuff there, at least I think so.  Demons by Dostoyevsky, it ends up I already have under the title The Devils.  I remember reading it and seem to remember liking it.  I now have a nice hardcopy of it, always good.

I don't know much about the Ludllum book, but I liked the Borne book I read so figured I would get this one & see what it's about.

I think I saw parts of Orlando the movie and know of Virginia Woolf.  I have A Room of One's Own somewhere amongst all of my books, a leftover from a college class.  Figured it should be one to add to my growing collection--don't know if it is right yet to call a bunch of used books a collection though.

Mark Twain is probably the one author that I should probably feel most guilty about not reading at least since grade school or junior high.  This book also doubles as a possible book for the kids in a few years.

The Men at War is a rather large collection of short stories that Hemingway put together about men fighting at war.  It also includes an intro by Hemingway.  Since I have been developing a real interest in Hemingway I couldn't just pass this one up.

The other two Hemingway books are more exciting though.  The novel, Across the River and Into the Trees was not very favorably critiqued per wikipedia at least.  While it might not match up to most of the other Hemingway works, I have it now to read and decide for myself and some point in the future.  By-Line is a collection of articles and dispatches that Hemingway wrote in his lifetime.  Sounds pretty interesting, maybe not exciting but still another Hemingway thing to have.

By the way all of these books came for the price of $1.75--just amazing.  $.25 each book, I even told the librarian checking me out that I felt a little guilty getting all of these books for that amount and she just kind of laughed it off.  

I did get 2 miles in tonight before going to the library.  I stopped at two because my right ankle was kind of tight like I rolled it or something.  I don't remember doing anything to it so I figured on not pushing it and seeing how it feels if I get to run on Wed.  






No comments: