Friday, October 3, 2008

What to type today?

This is where trying to do a blog entry for 31 days is going to get tough.  While I don't mind typing up stuff about my mundane days, to do it day after day will be tough.  I doubt there are many people out there reading this so I guess it is not punishing that many people.

A couple of weeks ago my wife picked up a copy of The Wizard of Oz VCR tape.  The kids & especially Thomas, love it.  Most days it is getting played, at least a few minutes here and there, not the whole movie generally.  Thomas has certain parts memorized and loves repeating them.  He has been saying, "I want to go home", it took me some time to piece it together that he was just saying a line from the movie and not really wanting to go home.  He likes to dance and act out parts of the movie--it is just funny to see and he really enjoys it as well.  

When Debbie first brought the movie home, I remembered it from the book, Adventures in the Mainstream by Greg Palmer & his son Ned who has DS.  I seem to remember from the book that The Wizard of Oz was one of his favorite movies growing up.  It has been a couple of years since reading that book but I think there were more than a few similarities between Thomas and Ned, in their likes and actions.  I will have to put this book on the re-read fast-track I think.

By the way, it was at a St Louis Down Syndrome Conference 2 or 3 years ago that Greg & Ned Palmer were the keynote speakers and did an excellent speech/presentation of themselves.  It was after that speech that I bought a book and they both signed it.  I know if you would check my very earliest posts I gave credit to this book for my starting to blog.  The book is basically diary entries of Greg, the dad, about his son growing up.  While Greg is a writer and producer of documentaries, the book is written in a style that I think most people would believe they could do that also.  Of course that is selling the author short, but I wouldn't mind writing something sometime, besides a blog no one reads.

No comments: