Sunday, October 5, 2008

A Sunday

This was a special Sunday in the household.  It was the first time our oldest Rose was an altar server at Mass.  Grandpa was the lector & stayed on the altar to help her out.  She did really good for the first time, I could tell a couple of points where she was a little unsure of herself but with a little help from either grandpa or our priest she got through it.  She was so excited this morning, she was awake & dressed for church by 7:30 and she didn't have to be at church till 9:30 for 10am Mass.  Rose is normally a sleep in and move slow kid, a typical 9 year old I guess.

Thomas was excited to see Rose on the altar also.  Even though I tried to explain to him what was going on, he kept saying, "I want to go get Rose".  I had to take him into the Cry Room a couple of times to get him to settle down.  After Mass, Thomas did his usual routine of checking out the statues in church, Angie came along also.  Thomas really loves looking at the statues and calls the baby Jesus' Angie and the Mary statues Rose.  I guess his sisters are about perfect to him, well except when they have a toy he wants or switch channels or sit in his seat or...you get the idea.

I was a great day out, so the kids were able to play outside at grandma & grandpas a lot.  It made the two younger tired and cranky so when it came time to go to Rose's VB game, they stayed home.  I took Rose and it was just the two of us.  It was nice, but it was also like something was missing with just me watching her game.  I am normally attached to Thomas to make sure he doesn't go running off.  Rose's team won 2 of 3 games and played pretty good except the one game they lost.  Rose was getting her serves over and made a few good bumps also.

I have a lead in my fantasy football.  The guy I am playing has a kicker left and has to make up something like 19 points, should win but put whatever saying you want her--don't count your chickens till they hatch, it's not over till it's over, etc.

Nebraska got stomped by Mizz last night also.  I endured watching 3 quarters of that and finally went over to the baseball game for good.  I have enjoyed many many years of good NE football so enduring a few of these games has to be expected I guess.  I really don't follow it much at all now with the kids and everything so wins and losses don't matter that much now.

I got some good reading in on Uncle Tom's Cabin today also.  What a sad story and a lot of respects.  I cannot even imagine that when this book first came out slavery was still legal and the Civil War was looming.  It is really painful to think that much of what the book talks about really did happen.  It is making respect the Union soldiers that much more for fighting to end slavery, as well to maintain the Union/USA.  It is just a powerful book and am glad I am reading it but at the same time wishing I had read it back in either college or high school days.

No comments: